April 28, 2011

I Love Commissions

Some calligraphers I know will not take on commissions - it scares the bejeebers out of them. While I admit that some requests have induced a certain level of fear in me, it is usually only when I am requested to do something I've never done before - e.g. lettering on a motorcycle (turned out to be an OCC, so good thing I didn't know!), working with Native American pigments on deer hide, lettering on pottery, etc.

I like to bring happiness to people - and it's no different with clients. I want them to be more than pleased - I go for the "Wow!" reaction, but will settle for the speechless tears of happiness, too. It's those moments that make life as an artist so rewarding.

Enough drabble...here's my latest commission, waiting for matting and framing...



1 comment:

  1. Neat. You connected with emotions. What a concept. The ability, talent and willingness to meaningfully touch each other's lives and hearts is a special gift. Keep giving. Keep receiving.

    ReplyDelete